2011 will be a terrific year! If it isn’t naturally so, we will make it great by the sheer force of our mental powers. And by growing vegetables, tending chickens, baking cookies, and learning new things.
Here are goals for 2011:
- Speak with intention. Yesterday I did a short backbend/balancing series on YogaToday (this one), and towards the end the instructor made a profound statement about what we should consider before speaking. In 2011, I will try to consider the following before speaking: 1) Is it kind?; 2) Is it truthful?; 3) Is it necessary?; and 4) Is the timing appropriate? If the answer to any of these is No, then I won’t say it. I hope to change some of my thought patterns with this new goal, and shed some of the pettiness that I carry around with me.
- Clean the darned basement for real.
- Get some tuckpointing done for real.
- Do well in school and on the GRE.
- Apply to physical therapy programs over the summer.
- Tackle Physics fearlessly in the fall.
I’ve dropped stranded knitting from my list because that was going no where fast.
Last night we hosted an engagement party for Porkchop’s younger brother. Considering the size of our downstairs, we packed in a good amount of people. The count was 18 or 19, and I felt like we cooked for a crowd three times that size. (I do not want to cook for at least a few days, seriously.)
Because preparing for a large crowd of people isn’t enough work, we also switched bedrooms this weekend, which involved painting, moving furniture, and hanging curtains. Porkchop did a lot of the work, but I do take credit for moving the dresser. We put it on its side to slide it between rooms (the only time I’ve been grateful for our carpeting), and then we had to tilt it back up. Porkchop guided it into place while I squatted on the floor, wedged my fingers between the dresser and the carpet, and deadlifted all 150 pounds of it using only my hamstrings. I felt like a champ after the dresser was back on four legs.
Last week, one of our chickens was bleeding from a cracked comb and had to come inside for some doctoring. After a round of hydrogen peroxide, antibiotic ointment, and some Vaseline, Scooter was doing much better. She even posed for a picture!
Enjoy 2011! Make it yours!